Saturday 22 October 2011

Has your attitude changed about arranged marriages? If so, how and why?

My opinions on arranged marriage have certainly changed. I now see that there are more positives to arranged marriages than to simply keep money or a good reputation in the family, something that I viewed as a superficial and ridiculous reason. I now see, for one thing, that some people need arranged marriages in order to survive at all financially, and this process should not be taken from them. Additionally, I now see how it does not typically involve forcing a women into a loveless situation against her will, but can actually make life easier and happier, because she does not have to worry about choosing her spouse. However, the biggest reason I changed my mind about arranged marriages, as I had previously been a one on the scale and am now a three, is because it is such a huge piece of many cultures. Banning arranged marriages stripes people of their culture and, like Molly said in reference to The Wayfinders, creates a monoculture. Allowing arranged marriages preserves culture and also creates a familial closeness, which is something I definitely support.

I think about how the man who can to talk to us about Aboriginals said that most native Australians do not even know any of the stories that have been passed down to only a few. The fact that these stories, this piece of their culture, is lost forever, lost to them, saddens me. I would hate for something similar to occur with Indians, for example, if arranged marriages were taken away from them. Not a single piece of anyone’s culture should be lost, and so, though I would not have an arranged myself, I understand why people do, and I respect this.

No comments:

Post a Comment