Sunday 2 October 2011

Do you have a word that hurts deep? If not, why do you think that is?

I do not have a word that hurts deep. This is probably because I am a priviledged white person. Minorities are often attacked with terribly offensive words, but people who are the majority - white people - don't seem to have these words. There is the word honky, but that wouldn't have anywhere near the same reaction as the n-word, and if someone used it today, I would think they were making a joke.

There is also the word "kike,"which I was not even aware of until this unit on the n-word. Though I am not actually Jewish, because my dad - and not my mom - is Jewish, I would be extremely offended and upset by hearing someone use it now that I am aware of insulting it is. Obviously, I think anyone saying anything derogatory about a group of person is terrible, but "kike" (or "faggot" as I have family and very close friends who are gay) would affect me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment