Saturday 17 September 2011

What was your result on the Race IAT? Do you think it was accurate?

I took the Race IAT three times. The first time it said my "data suggests a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American." The second time I took the IAT, it was slight, and the third time was moderate. Regardless, it is clear that my result is an automatic preference for European American people rather than African American.

My immediate reaction was denial, and then while answering the questions, I could only think of how disappointed I was in myself, how disappointed I was in the human race. Despite the fact that each result said  "there were too many errors to determine a result," I still believe this was accurate. Upon further reflection, it makes sense that I would have a subconscious preference towards white people. Not because I think it's something that should be happening, but because I think it's something I have been conditioned to my whole life. When I was nine-years-old and younger, while living in LA, I only had two African American friends. If you look at the community at ASL, there have only been three African American students in my grade since I came in fourth grade, and you can forget about there being any black kids in Hong Kong. I am not exposed to people of color in my daily life, so I suppose it is logical that my fingers would react more quickly to something I recognize.

This has certainly opened my eyes. Already I've been smiling at people of color on the street, and white people as well, really. Dr. Richards advice seems to have reminded me how contagious smiles are. The one thing I just keep thinking of is that I will have to try my best to raise children who are not conditioned to have a preference to white people...

1 comment:

  1. This test is often difficult to come to grips with. Do not feel disappointment, because this tests what is in your subconscious, which is directly related to the world you have been raised in...the media messages, the movies, the books, the group of people you have been exposed to. If you grew up as a minority white person (say in Africa), you'd likely show a different preference.

    As for your children, the best way to condition them is to surround them with lots of different cultures and children of different ethnicities, and to prevent them (or help them make sense of) from seeing discriminatory images from the media.

    ReplyDelete