Friday 23 September 2011

In cases of adoption, agencies should try to match the ethnicity/race of children and parents, instead of doing adoptions in a racially blind manner.

I answered "not sure" to this statement, and this is not because I think that, for example, a person who is Chinese should withhold the Chinese traditions and should not accept, say, France as his/her culture. I find this question a bit difficult, because I have a lot of family friends who have adopted. One couple I know - the wife is Latina and the husband is Caucasian, so they only looked at Latino-Caucasian mixed babies. They wanted their children to look like they are actually theirs. Another close family friend adopted two gypsy children from Hungry. They have much darker skin than their parents, but I don't think that should matter. Another example is Ms. Leonard's family. She has one son by birth and an adopted daughter. I babysat Meiyi and Reid the other day, and Meiyi was talking about how people at school sometimes don't understand that even though her parents are white, they can be her feel parents, that she has other biological parents, but that doesn't make Mr. and Mrs. Leonard any less real.
I think it is reasonable to want your son or daughter to look like they belong to you. If I were to adopt, I would do it in a racially blind way or else I would adopt someone who isn't my race. I think a child in China probably needs a parents more than a white baby that every white person who is adopting might want. I think adopting someone is a good thing regardless of race, and I don't necessarily think it's wrong to only adopt someone of your race or ethnicity. However, I think it's a bit better to adopt someone of another race.
I do not think it's right for adoption agencies to only give children to people of the same race or ethnicity of the baby. I was not aware that this was even done until Mr. Richards said so in class. I think it should be the parents choice of what race they want to adopt.

No comments:

Post a Comment